Gatidou G., Arvaniti O. and Stasinakis Ath. (2019), Review on the occurrence and fate of microplastics in Sewage Treatment Plants, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 367:504-512.
- •Sewage Treatment Plants are significant sources of microplastics (MPs).
- •Up to 99% of MPs’ can be removed during conventional wastewater (WW) treatment.
- •MPs accumulate to sludge, lack of data for possible changes during treatment.
- •Careful selection of advanced treatment process has positive impact on MPs removal.
- •A standardized protocol for MPs’ sampling, pretreatment and analysis is needed.