MESPOM is an Erasmus+: Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management operated by four leading European and two North American Universities. MESPOM prepares students for identifying and implementing solutions to complex environmental challenges, especially in an international context. Please visit the MESPOM website for full details.
The MESPOM study programme is in English and lasts two years. The students study in at least three out of six consortium universities: the International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics at Lund University (Sweden), the University of Manchester (UK), Central European University (Hungary), the University of the Aegean (Greece), Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) ( USA), and the University of Saskatchewan (UoS) (Canada).
The Spring Semester of the 1st year MESPOM study programme takes place at the Department of Environment, University of the Aegean, Greece,
You can pick up your student ID Cards by the Vodafone Shop which is located at Kavetsou 2 & Vournazon str (see on the map: https://www.xo.gr/maps/anazitisi-diefthynsis/kavetsou-2-vournazon-mytilini-81100/?lang=2). the Vodafone shop is open on: Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays, between 08:30 – 14:00, and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, between 08:30 – 14:00 & 17:30-20:30.
Your UAegean student ID card that, in addition to free transportation to and from the university campus (by bus), gives you access to 50% off in all public transportation in Greece (except airplane tickets) and access to the University canteen.
WORKING PLACES at the Dept. of Environment (Xenia)
- Working Place 1: Computer Room is located at the ground floor of Xenia A building, at the end of the corridor next to the GIS Laboratory.
- Working Place 2: Room 217, is located at the 1st floor of Xenia A building, on your left.
- Working Place 3: Room 316, is located at the 2nd floor of Xenia A building, on your left.
- Working Place 4: Room Γ2, is located at the 3rd floor of Xenia B building, on your left.
Your working places, will be available daily and during weekends from 09:00-21:00.
- The GIS Laboratory is located at the ground floor of Xenia A building, at the end of the corridor. GIS Laboratory will be available from Monday to Friday at 09:00-20:00.
- When logging in a PC of the University of the Aegean, use your personal Username and Password provided to you by the Department of Environment.
- Your access to the Department of Environment, during weekends, will be feasible from the main entrance of Xenia A Building.
University of the Aegean is connected to Eduroam wifi (education roaming service for network access). To use eduroam you will need to set up your laptop or smartphone. Visit the following website to download the eduroam installer. https://cat.eduroam.org/
Password: your personal password
Your Spring 2018 Courses will appear on the UAegean Moodle platform at which you can visit by following the URL:
https://aegeanmoodle.aegean.gr/course/index.php?categoryid=137 To log in to the Moodle site, use your personal Username and Password provided to you by the Dept. of Environment.
A printer for MESPOM users is available at Working Place 1. You just need to connect the printer to your computer and run the drivers. If you want to use the scanner, please contact George at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of the Aegean LIBRARY
You can have access to the Library of the University of the Aegean Catalogues, but you cannot borrow any books, through the following link: http://www.lib.aegean.gr/en
- Mrs. Val Karagianni (Chief Facilitator-Administrative contact)
Email: email@example.com ; tel.: (+30) 6945087068
- Mr. Michael Bakas (Facilitator-Administrative contact)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; tel.: (+30) 6944654785
- Mr. George Koufos (Facilitator-Administrative contact)
Email: email@example.com ; tel.: (+30) 6946266690
- Prof. Petros Gaganis (UAegean Mespom Coordinator-Academic contact)
STUDYING with MESPOM on Lesvos
Assessment, Modelling and Scenarios for Ecosystems Management (ENV540, ‘ECOSYS’, 6 ECTS)
ELECTIVE (Students have to select 5 out of the 8 elective courses offered):
- Applied Ecology (ENV541, ‘ECO’, 2 ECTS) –Prerequisite: “Introduction to Environmental Sciences” @ CEU Winter Semester
- Air Pollution and Climate Change (ENV511, ‘AIR’, 2 ECTS)
- Freshwater Resources: Natural systems, Human Impact and Conservation (ENV512, ‘WATER’, 2 ECTS)
- Aquatic Pollution and Wastewater Management (ENV513, ‘WASTE’, 2 ECTS)
- Environmental Applications of GIS: Spatial Analysis and Modeling (ENV531, ‘GIS’, 2 ECTS) – Prerequisite: “Spatial Analysis with GIS” @ CEU Winter Semester
- Sustainable Tourism (ENV571, ‘TOURISM’, 2 ECTS)
- Research Design & Methods in Social Sciences (ENV581, ‘METHODS’, 2 ECTS) – Prerequisite: “Introduction to Quantitative Research Methods (I and II)” @ CEU Autumn & Winter Semesters
- Introduction to Economics of the Environment (ENV572, ‘ECON’, 2 ECTS)
|Courses Titles (CODES) (available in PDF file). See also the DAILY schedule of courses|
|WEEKS||Design & Methods in Social Sciences (ENV581, METHODS)
||Intro to Economics of the Environment (ENV 572, ECON)||Applied Ecology (ENV541, ECO)||Air Pollution & Climate Change (ENV511, AIR)||Freshwater Resources: Natural systems, Human Impact & Conservation (ENV512, WATER)||Aquatic Pollution and Wastewater Management (ENV513, WASTE)||Environmental Applications of GIS: Spatial Analysis and Modeling (ENV531, GIS)||Assessment, Modelling and Scenarios for Ecosystems Management (ENV540, ECOSYS)||Sustainable Tourism (ENV571, TOURISM)|
The courses’ tutors for the Spring semester of the 2017-2018 academic year are the following:
The following research papers are based on the (thesis) research of MESPOM students at the Department of Environment, University of the Aegean (the MESPOM students’name is in bold):
- Botetzagias I., Tsagkari M. & Malesios Chr. (2018) Is the ‘Troika’ bad for the environment? An analysis of EU countries” environmental performance in times of economic downturn and austerity memoranda. Ecological Economics, 150: 34-51.
- Guerreiro S. & Botetzagias I. (2018) Empowering communities – the role of intermediary organisations in community renewable energy projects in Indonesia. Local Environment, 23(2):158-177.
- Simha Pr., Mutiara Z.Z. & Gaganis P. (2017). Vulnerability Assessment of Water Resources and Adaptive Management Approach for Lesvos Island, Greece. Sustainable Water Resources Management, 3:283-295.
- Beckham Hooff, S., Botetzagias, I. & Kizos, Ath. (2017). Seeing the Wind (Farm): Applying Q-methodology to Understand the Public’s Reception of the Visuals Around a Wind Farm Development. Environmental Communication, 11(5):700-722.
- Chandra Al. & Gaganis P. (2016), Deconstructing vulnerability and adaptation in a coastal river basin ecosystem: a participatory analysis of flood risk in Nadi, Fiji Islands. Climate and Development, 8(3): 256-269.