The student will be able to understand the basic units of the energy system and its interaction with the physical and social environment and its technological, economic, environmental and social dimensions. He will also be in a position to evaluate energy investments and to estimate their environmental impact, to organize programmes of energy planning and energy conservation in an area/region, and to implement programmes of energy management. She/he will be able to propose, adopt and evaluate policy and legislation tools for energy and environment issues.
|Topics per Week:||1. Introduction, Basic Concepts, Terms, Units.
2. The Energy System, Definitions, Description, Sources, Conversion, Carriers, Uses. The Greek Energy System.
3. The Energy Balance, Energy Indices, Efficiecny, Sankey Diagrams.
4. Energy Demand. Forecasting, Econometric and End-use Models, Optimisation.
5. Energy Planning. Matching Demand and Supply, Management of Uncertainties and Risk, Planning Period. Planning Errors, Green Economy.
6. Energy Investments Evaluation, Funding of Energy Projects.
7. Linear Programming and Optimisation Models.
8. Energy Auditing, Energy Efficiency Programmes, Examples and Case Studies.
9. The Carbon Footprint, Calculations. Examples
10. Energy and Environmental Legislation. Climate Change and Kyoto Protocol Mechanisms.
11. Energy Costing, Tariffs, Marginal Costing, Analysis of Environmental and Social Costs.
12. Multicriteria Analysis and Decision Making, Management of Public Participation.
13. Examples and Case Studies of Energy Planning, Rehearsing basic concepts and exercises.
|Theory – Lectures
(hours / week):
|Exercises – Laboratories
(hours / week):
Assignments, Intermediate and Final Test
Lecture notes, pp. 100.
|Internet Links:||www.rae.gr Regulatory Authority for Energy.
www.ypeka.gr Dept of Environment, Energy and Climatic Change, Energy Balances. 1960‐2000.
www.dei.gr Public Power Corporation.
www.cres.gr Centre for Renewable Resources
www.admie.gr Independent Power Transmission Operator
www.lagie.gr Operator of Electricity Market.
www.uneprisoe.org UNEP Riso Centre for energy, climate change and sustainable development.
www.desfa.gr Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator.
www.Energy.gov Dept of Energy – USA
http://ec.europa.eu/energy European Commission – Energy site
www.energy.eu Europe’s energy portal