– Understand the concepts of Ecological Footprint, IPAT-equation, Environmental Kuznets Curve
– Understand LCA thinking
– Learn in practice the procedures involved in LCA, in IPAT, in Ecological Footprint
– Develop skills for interpretation of the results
– Understand the strengths and limitations of the methods for evaluation of human impacts on the environment
|Topics per Week:|| The course focuses on quantitative aspects and methods of evaluation of impacts of man-made production systems. Conceptual and quantitative examples are used in order to study:
– the limits of the IPAT tautology. Quantitative, qualitative and methodological consequences of the core environmental paradigm. Examples of calculations of the IPAT model, mainly regarding C or pollutant emissions.
– ecological footprint calculations: analysis of the concept of “footprint”. Methods and calculators of footprints.
– carbon footprint: Methods and calculators
– indirect impacts of energy/mass transfers in production chains/LCA. The deconstruction of processes production chains. Input-output analysis. Examples of calculations regarding energy flow/energy intensity/performance … in productive systems.
| Theory – Lectures
(hours / week):
|Exercises – Laboratories
(hours / week):
Written exams: 40%
|Notes:||The presentations will be made available on the web-based platform (moodle). Recommendations for further reading are given in the course.|
The course is taught in Greek. For exchange students, English literature is proposed and examinations are given in English